Mövenpick Hotel Mactan Island Cebu is inviting international guests and local residents to come savour the tastes and flavours of the Mediterranean this autumn with the launch of its latest global menu – ‘Pesto and Pistou’.
Marking another gastronomic triumph for a brand synonymous with culinary excellence for more than 70 years, the expert chefs at Mövenpick have perfected a new innovative range of pestos (Italian) and pistous (French) to create seven experimental dishes, available at The Sails restaurant throughout the month of October 2019.
Chef Christian Bouby, culinary head at Mövenpick Hotel Mactan Island Cebu, will lead the kitchen in preparing the pesto and pistou based dishes. These two classic European sauces are based on the aromatic herb, basil, which is harvested in late summer. Savoury favourites will include seared Saku tuna with olive and eggplant pesto and seafood soup with tarragon pistou. For dessert, a sweet treat with a real difference – Bundt cake with chocolate-mint pesto, served alongside a frothy espresso.
“It’s always a thrill to work on new menu concepts, especially with the abundance of fresh produce and seafood available which comes straight from local farmers and suppliers,” said Christian Bouby, Executive Chef. “Discerning palates are in for a play of flavours, in ways they have not likely experienced before, with the distinct color and character pesto and pistou infused into each dish.”
General Manager, Max Huber, added “While our guests and our local fans love to return for their favourite classic Mövenpick dishes, we always seek to surprise and delight with seasonal offerings or special food related events. We are certain that our Pesto & Pistou menu will excite even the most experimental foodies, while providing a fitting a tribute to the flavours that conjure up Mediterranean sun and sea.”
Pesto and pistou are two versions of a flavourful sauce based on basil, olive oil and cheese. Italian pesto, which originates in Genoa, the capital city of Liguria, Italy, is blended from garlic, basil, pine nuts, grated parmesan cheese and olive oil while its French cousin, pistou, is a Provençal cold sauce with similar ingredients, but without the pine nuts and with or without cheese.
Mövenpick’s versions add surprising new ingredients to the blend, while preserving the essence of both Mediterranean specialty sauces to create seven pesto/pistou-inspired dishes:
- Saku tuna with olive and eggplant pesto: pan-seared tuna fillet with a modern interpretation of ratatouille, pine nuts and black tapenade;
- seafood soup with tarragon pistou: a touch of tarragon and a unique blend of sweet aniseed and saffron bring this specialty seafood dish to life;
- tagliatelle with walnut-basil pesto: walnuts replace pine nuts to create an imitable new pesto blend that is smooth, sweet and deliciously buttery;
- Cod with pesto rosso: accompanied with risotto made from finest Arborio rice to absorb every ingredient and flavour in full;
- beef fillet with red cabbage pesto: a traditional winter vegetable with a sweet edge gives this pesto dish punch;
- chicken breast with bell pepper pesto: with peas, green beans, egg, a basmati rice galette and sublime bitter-sweet yellow-red pesto;
- Bundt cake with chocolate-mint pesto: a timeless German cake with a cool mint and rich chocolate pesto twist, served with an Espresso.
For reservations at The Sails restaurant, please contact at +63 32 492 7777 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more information on Mövenpick’s Pesto, Pistou menu, available throughout October 2019, please visit: movenpick.com/pesto.